Skip Main Navigation
Skip navigation and go to content
- Main Content
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before surgery. This includes candy, mints, clear liquids, chewing gum, cigarettes and chewing tobacco unless otherwise instructed.
- Take a bowel prep as instructed by your physician, if applicable.
- If you drink or eat anything after midnight you surgery will be delayed a minimum of 6-8 hours or may be cancelled unless otherwise instructed by your physician.
- Take only heart, blood pressure, seizure, and asthma medicines the morning of surgery with less than an ounce of water unless instructed otherwise by your physician or nurse anesthetist.
- Diabetics. Do not take any oral diabetic medications such as metformin or glyburide. If insulin dependent check blood sugar the morning of procedure.
- No makeup or jewelry is to be worn the morning of surgery.
- Wear clothing that is loose and comfortable on the day of surgery.
- Personal belongings for stay: Robe and good shoes with non-skid soles for walking in hallway, personal toiletries as needed, person gown or pajamas as desired.
- Please practice the incentive spirometer 5 times daily, 3 breaths each time, for at least 3 days in a row and bring it with you the day of surgery if instructed by physician.
- No shaving operative area 72 hours prior to procedure.
- If you have any questions call the pre-operative education area at 251-8417 or 251-8449.
- Report any signs of general ill feeling, fever, cough, congestion, etc, to your physician.